Settling Compensation Claims for Cash
Camps Solicitors are specialists in making No Win No Fee claims on behalf of people who were injured in accidents that were not their fault. If you have had an accident that wasn’t your fault, and you have been approached by anyone offering to settle your claim for cash, then this page may answer some of the questions you have.
Our personal injury solicitors handle thousands of claims each year, many from people who have been involved in road traffic accidents where the actions of another motorist have caused them to suffer injuries and financial losses. However, in recent months several of our clients have told us that they have been contacted by insurance company representatives offering them cash if they agree to settle their claims. These representatives attempt to get accident victims to settle their claims for amounts much less than they could reasonably expect.
What to bear in mind before you accept an offer of compensation
If you have had an accident, being phoned or having someone call at your house offering hundreds of pounds in compensation there and then can seem like a very attractive offer. However, as we have found out from talking to our own clients, these offers are never as good as they appear at first. If you are considering accepting an offer of cash from an insurance company for your injuries, here are some things you should bear in mind:
- These offers are rarely within the range of the guideline amounts for damages which are published by the Judicial Studies Board.
- Often members of the public won’t have a clear idea how much their claim is worth; £500 or £1000 is a considerable sum of money for a lot of people, and they may accept this sum without the benefit of legal advice.
- Accepting the insurance companies offer typically involves signing a discharge form preventing you from re-opening your claim. However, most people do not realise that they can challenge this form due to the undue influence of the insurance companies in getting people to sign these forms.
- These offers do not take into account any other financial losses you might have suffered, such as lost earnings or the costs of future treatment, which can be recovered for you by Camps Solicitors.
- These offers are an attempt to get around the laws related to notifying the Compensation Recovery Unit about an accident. This also affects the payment of benefits, the recovery of hospital and ambulance costs and also payments for absence from work, costing the government, hospitals and employers significant sums of money that could otherwise be recovered by your solicitors.
The practice of buying off accident victims in this way is widespread, and denies legitimate claimants the right to seek independent legal advice. There are many other areas of life where you would take legal advice, and if you have been injured in an accident this should be no different.
Recover the compensation you deserve
If you have been approached by a representative of an insurance company with an offer to settle your claim then a call to Camps Solicitors could be a very good move. We will get the insurance company off your back, leaving you to concentrate on getting better, and getting on with your life. Our personal injury solicitors will work on your behalf to recover compensation that will accurately reflect the circumstances of your injuries, instead of undervaluing your claim.
Call 0800 092 8586
Speak to one of our claims advisors about your claim.